en English
023 92498916 [email protected]

Independent Mental Health Advocacy

An Independent Mental Health advocate can help you if you have any restrictions put on you by The Mental Health Act – these can be if you are detained under certain sections, have a Community Treatment Order, a Guardianship Order or for support with some treatments. An IMHA will meet with you and ensure that you are aware of your rights under the Act. They can help you speak to staff and managers or appeal the details of your restrictions.

An IMHA can also attend a tribunal with you to ensure that your rights are upheld, and that you are able to participate fully in the process.

You have a legal right to see an Independent Mental Health Advocate (IMHA) and we have IMHAs at every inpatient unit in the area. Please look for one of our posters on the ward, speak to ward staff or your Community Nurse, or call us directly.

How to access this service

This is a self-referral service; alternatively you can ask to be referred by hospital or social care staff, or a family member. You can self-refer using the form below or contact the office on 02392 484422 or email [email protected] for more information.

Referral forms can be found here in PDF or Word versions

Accreditations & Awards